British industry has never been one to blow its own trumpet, but after successfully exhibiting its heavy recovery PolyBilt Body for Ontime, at the Commercial Vehicle Show 2012, PolyBilt Europe wants to tell the world about its creative use of Plastic Fabrication for this type of vehicle.
The idea of manufacturing plastic vehicle bodies is not new, PolyBilt in the US, the sister company of PolyBilt Europe (a joint venture with John Dennis Coachbuilders), have been building plastic bodies and tanks for fire engines for nearly twenty years.
They have supplied the fire service industry in the USA and on every continent in the world, with almost 20,000 water and foam tanks and more than 1,000 PolyBilt bodies. During this time, PolyBilt has very been innovative, with 3 patents in tank and body design, including the PolyBilt integrated body and tank design.
The major benefits over other types of heavy rescue bodies are:
1. Lighter, up to 20% less than traditional bodies
2. Excellent impact resistance reducing damage and down time
3. Zero maintenance, no painting or corrosion protection required
4. Won’t rust, dent or corrode
5. Easy to repair, no PPE or specialist breathing equipment needed
6. 100% recyclable
7. Comes with 20 year warranty
8. Easy to clean, usually jet washed without fear of damaging the body
9. Painted as traditional bodies
10. Innovative and flexible design to the customers exact specification
Like many companies PolyBilt have developed their products using 3D CAD packages and can incorporate the body design to suit the customer’s chassis and kitting requirements. The bodies are stress analysed in the CAD package before going into production.
Another innovation adopted by Ontime is the ergonomically designed tilt and slide shelving system, originally designed for Fire and Rescue Services. This system not only presents the equipment needed by the operator in a quick and easy way, at a height suitable for 95% of the UK population but protects the equipment, thereby prolonging its useful life.
If you would like more information on this ground breaking innovation please contact our Sales office 01483 506678